Sunday, February 23, 2014

Birthday Board Games Bash

Thank you!

Firstly, a big thank you to my wonderful wife for arranging a board games party on Saturday for my birthday.

Around 40 friends attended, with the numbers being fairly evenly split between adults and children. We started at 10:00 am, and things went very smoothly, despite a power outage to replace some stolen electrical cable in the area.

There were 3 separate groups of friends present. I was a little apprehensive as it's always difficult to mix different social groups together. But it went really well.


Ricochet Robots

We started out playing Ricochet Robots as it can handle an arbitrary number of people and it's easy to join or leave at any time. It's a very clever competitive puzzle and it can be a real brain-burner. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it!

There are online versions at http://www.ricochetrobot.com and http://www.ricochetrobots.com.


The Resistance: Avalon

Two of my friends had brought along copies of Avalon (the Resistance) so we then split into two groups - one for novices and the other for the experts. I played in the expert group, but felt a bit out of my depth at first.

There are a group of us who play games once a week after work. The rest of the guys have been playing Avalon a lot over the past few months and even have their own terminology now. But over that time I was temporarily seconded to another project to produce an architecture document for a client. So I have a lot of catching up to do.


A present!

Although everyone had been instructed not to bring presents, my colleagues clubbed together to buy me a present anyway. They had colluded with my wife, who had sneakily found out which games were on my most desired list. So I received a copy of Libertalia.

This game has been a big hit in our weekly after-work games sessions. It's a lot of fun to play. So I was delighted!


Ultimate Werewolf

After one of the Avalon owners left the party, we ended up with around 15 people still wanting to play. Although the Resistance improves on Werewolf in just about every way, it only caters for up to 10 players. Werewolf can handle much more than that.

So we switched over to a few games of Ultimate Werewolf instead. Great fun as always!


The birthday buffoon!

As numbers dwindled, we switched back to Avalon again. We ended with an absolutely excellent game, where the minions of Mordred won all 3 quests and also knew who Merlin was.

I ended up being a perfect patsy for two of the minions of Mordred, who inveigled their way into the trusted group. It was so impressive to see how cleverly they pulled the wool over our eyes, that I felt honoured to have been part of the game - even if I was one of the ones who had been so comprehensively fooled by them.

Usually our monthly board games events last until late into a Saturday night, but this time everyone was gone before supper.


And thanks again!

All in all, it was a really fun way to spend a birthday. Thanks to everyone who attended, and made this an ideal birthday party for me!

No comments: